During the 41st Session of the World Heritage Committee held in Krakow, Poland from 2-12 July 2017, 18 cultural sites and 3 natural sites were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in addition to the expansion of 3 cultural sites and 2 natural sites.
The OWHC is very pleased that 10 of the inscribed or extended cultural sites represent urban ensembles or properties within an urban context. The cities in which those sites have been inscribed are:
- Dessau, Germany – Bauhaus and its Sites in Weimar, Dessau and Bernau
- Bernau, Germany – Bauhaus and its Sites in Weimar, Dessau and Bernau
- Hebron, Palestine – Hebron/Al-Khalil Old Town
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – Valongo Wharf Archaeological Site
- Asmara, Eritria – Asmara: a Modernist City of Africa
- Ahmedabad, India – Historic City of Ahmadabad
- Bergamo, Italy – Venetian Works of Defence between the 16th and 17th Centuries: Stato da Terra – Western Stato da Mar
- Kulangsu, China – Kulangsu, a Historic International Settlement
- Sviyazhsk, Russian Federation – Assumption Cathedral and Monastery of the town-island of Sviyazhsk
- Yazd, Iran – Historic City of Yazd
The OWHC congratulates these cities for this distinction and looks forward to a fruitful cooperation with them.