4 December 2012
Dear Colleagues, Mayors of World Heritage Cities,
On the occasion of the inscription of the Town of Banská Štiavnica as well as the technical sites in its vicinity on the UNESCO World Heritage List, our municipality decided to organize a creativity event for young people.
Further to the success of the contest that took place for grade school students to mark the eighteenth anniversary, we have decided to hold the nineteenth contest. School children are invited to participate by using their creativity to represent either their own World Heritage City or any World Heritage City around the globe. To participate, the following conditions must be met:
- entries must be submitted in one of three categories – ages up to 9 years, 10 to 12 years and 13 to 15 years;
- drawings, paintings, water colors, monotypes, linocuts, intarsias, collages and the like must be submitted in standard 10 x 14 cm postcard format mailed preferably in an envelope (for the entire school) and marked with the catchword “Vision 2013”;
- the artwork must completely cover the front of the postcard with the back reserved for the full name of the participant, his/her age and the complete return address of the school (in block letters);
- history, impressions, artifacts, daily life, inhabitants, even the future, are all themes that are suggested to inspire the creative efforts of all participants;
- individual students may submit as many as three different entries which are expected to be received not later than April 30, 2013 at the following address:
Radničné nám. 1
969 24 Banská Štiavnica
On May 30, 2013, based on the entries received, we will inaugurate an exhibit entitled
“World Heritage – A Youthful Vision 2013”
where the three best entries in each category will be rewarded. After Banská Štiavnica, the exhibit will then travel throughout the OWHC network. Should you be interested in reopening the exhibit in your city, please send us the name of the person in charge, whom we can contact in order to agree on details (place, date, etc.), before April 30, 2013.
Dear Colleagues, I invite you to join the efforts to give this international contest all the publicity it deserves in the primary schools in your World Heritage City. I am convinced that this event will contribute to help children gain deeper understanding of the outstanding world heritage values and to bring the nations of the world closer together.
Mayor of Banská Štiavnica