11 March 2019
Notice of candidacy: position of Secretary General of the OWHC
The Organization of World Heritage Cities (OWHC) is looking for a Secretary General.
The candidate will have to submit his/her application in the three (3) working languages of the OWHC: in French, English and Spanish.
Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted shortly after 10 May 2019. These selected candidates will be invited for an interview by the OWHC Board of Directors, which will take place on 1 June 2019 in Krakow, Poland. The travel expenses of these candidates will be covered by the OWHC.
The deadline to submit an application is 19 April 2019. This application must be sent exclusively to Ms. Andréanne Charest: [email protected]. Any questions related to the post and the submission of candidacies must also be sent to Ms. Andréanne Charest.
Please find below the details of the notice of candidacy:
Notice of candidacy
Post of Secretary General of the Organization of World Heritage Cities
Deadline to send your candidacy: 19 April 2019
Place of employment: Québec City, Canada
Starting date: between 1st October 2019 and 1st January 2020
Mission of the owhc
An international non-profit non-governmental organization, the Organization of World Heritage Cities (OWHC) is dedicated to assist member cities adapt and improve their management method in relation to the specific requirements of having a site inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
In accordance with its General By-Laws, the OWHC has the following goals:
- to contribute to the implementation of the Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage and the International Charter for the Protection of Historic Cities;
- to encourage, on both regional and international levels, cooperation and the exchange of information and expertise among historic cities throughout the world in close collaboration with other organizations pursuing similar goals while promoting action likely to support the efforts of cities located in developing countries;
- in collaboration with specialized organizations, to ensure better links between research undertaken by specialists and experts and the needs of local management;
- to sensitize the populations to heritage values and their protection.
Title of the position offered: Secretary General of the OWHC
The Secretary General coordinates the activities of the OWHC, prepares the budget and the financial reports, recruits the personnel of the General Secretariat and ensures that the decisions of the Board of the Directors and those of the Members taken at the General Assembly are carried out.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Preparation of the agenda and documents for meetings of the General Assembly and the Board of Directors
- Supervision of the personnel of the General Secretariat and the Regional Secretariats
- Budget planning
- Administration of the programs
- Relations with international partners
- Negotiations with international partners
- Development of the Organization
- Governmental, non-governmental and private relations
- Representation of the Organization
- Press relations
- Public discourse
The ideal candidate shall meet the following requirements and shall meet the requested qualities:
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in one or more of the following fields: international relations, heritage, administration, public relations
- Fluently bilingual in two of the three official languages (French, English, Spanish) of the OWHC and a basic knowledge of the third language
- Masters degree or equivalent
- Knowledge of world heritage issues and institutions
Qualities required for the job
- Having already shown leadership
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work with the political level
- Diplomatic, flexible, courteous, methodical, creative
- Available for travelling
Salary treatment will be determined by the experience and standards generally prevailing in international non-governmental organizations.
The candidacies have to be sent to Ms. Andréanne Charest: [email protected]PDF file of the Notice of Candidacy