• Registration Year

    1992

  • Registered Sector

    Historic Monuments of Novgorod and Surroundings

  • Historical Function

    Trade, culture and religion.

  • Administrative Status

    Chief city of the province of Novgorod.

  • Regional Secretariat
    Euro-Asia

Location and site

In the northwest of Russia, between Saint Petersburg and Moscow, Novgorod is situated in a prairie region with lakes and rivers. It is on the river route linking the Gulf of Finland to the Black Sea, and the navigable Volkhov River passes through the city.
 

Urban Morphology

An earthen rampart and moats dating to the 14th and 16th centuries surround the city on both sides of the river. On the north side, a radial plan developed around the kremlin, adapting to the topography surrounding this fortified historic node. On the south side of the river, the site of the commercial district with the former foreign trading posts, the plan is orthogonal. Today, a single modern bridge, located near the kremlin, links the two parts of the city.

Novgorod is sprinkled with early religious buildings. Their sober, even austere, and vigourous architectural forms are surmounted by one or several cupolas and decorated with frescoes. The increasing tendency to include ornamentation at the end of the 13th century is illustrated by the Church of Saint Nicolas (1292) and the Church of the Transfiguration (1374). These monuments are in the midst of a landscape that was reconstructed following the Second World War.

Registration Criteria

As an eminent cultural centre, a place of creation for Russia's national architecture in stone and the site of one of the oldest national schools of painting, Novgorod influenced the development of Russian arts in the Middle Ages. (II) It is a genuine "conservatory" of Russian architecture of the Middle Ages and later (11th to 19th centuries). (IV) It was one of the major centres of Russian culture and spirituality. (VI)

Historical Reference

  • Novgorod, which was founded by the Varnagians, was made capital of the principality established by the new Rurikid Dynasty in 862. A Gotland trading post prospered in the Volkov River.
  • It was annexed to Kievian Russia following the transfer of the capital city to Kiev in 882. Under the Grand Prince of Kiev, a stone wall was erected around its kremlin in 1044; inside this enclosure, the Cathedral of Saint Sophia was constructed between 1045 and 1050.
  • In the 10th and 11th centuries, Novgorod separated from Kiev. As the princes were progressively isolated from the kremlin and deprived of their rights to the cathedral, they erected several churches.
  • From 1136 on, the only assurance that the princes provided was defense. The power was held by the Archdiocese and an elected mayor.
  • The new city-republic was spared from the attacks of the Mongols in the 13th century. During the "Battle of the Ice" of 1242, Prince Alexander Nevski defended Novgorod against the threat of the Teutonic Knights.
  • At the end of the 13th century and in the 14th century, Novgorod was at the peak of its economic prosperity. The Hanseatic League established a trading post there. A number of small churches were constructed.
  • In 1487, Novgorod was annexed to the Grand Principality of Moscow by Ivan III. The Hanseatic merchants were expelled in 1495.
  • In 1570, during the social revolts, Ivan the Terrible sacked the city. Novgorod fell into decline while Saint Petersburg prospered during the 18th century.

Yury Bobryshev

Mayor of Novgorod

Mr. Yury Bobryshev
Mayor
City Adminstration of Veliky Novgorod
4, Bolchaya Vlasievskaya Street
Veliky Novgorod, Russian Federation
173007
Tel:
+7 (8162) 983 401
Fax:
+7 (8162) 732 599
Email:
mayor@adm.nov.ru
Ms. Olga Vasilieva
Head of Foreign Relations
Tourism and Foreign Relations Department, City Administration of Veliky Novgorod
4 Bolshaya Vlasievskaya St.
Veliky Novgorod, Russian Federation
173 007
Tel:
+7 (8162) 994 226
Fax:
+7 (8162) 994 227
Email:
zon@adm.nov.ru
Mr. Evgeny Zhilin
Chef Architect
Architecture and Town Planning Department
4 Kaberova-Vlasievskaya St.
Veliky Novgorod, Russian Federation
173 007
Tel:
+7 (8162) 994 074
Fax:
+7 (8162) 994 081
Email:
info@adm.nov.ru
St Sophia Cathedral_press centre
St. Blaise Church 1407
St. George cathedral 12th c
St. Nicholas Cathedral
Sts. Peter And Paul Church In Kozhevniki 1406
The Battle Course of the fortress
Yaroslav's Court
Bell Tower of St. Sophia Cathedral 1437
Cathedral of the Nativity of our Lady in St. Anthony's Monastery 1117
Church of St. Theodore Stratilates on the Brook
Church of the Transfiguration of Our Savior on Nereditsa Hill, 1198
Kreml
Novgorod Krem_Alexander Kochevnik
Novgorod Kreml_Anatoly Andreev
Novgorod Kremlin_A Visnap
Novgorod Kremlin_Visnap A (3)
Open-air Museum of Wooden Architecture Vitoslavlitsy _Arthur Visnap
Open-air Museum of Wooden Architecture Vitoslavlitsy
Peryn Skete_Anatily Andreev
Rurik's hill fort