Criteria for a City’s Eligibility to Host an OWHC World Congress
The City must:
- Be a member in good standing of the OWHC
- Have a conference hall to accommodate at least 500 persons for plenary sessions
- Have a meeting room with a capacity of 125 persons for the General Assembly
- Have 8 smaller meeting rooms varying in capacity from 20 to 50 persons for the 8 Regional Meetings
- Have the information and communication technology to provide the necessary connectivity (internet – Wi-Fi) at the congress venues
- Be able to provide and assume the cost of the required equipment for the meeting rooms and offices as set forth in the “Manual of Procedure for Hosting an OWHC World Congress”
- Have a sufficient number of hotels in various categories to accommodate the Congress participants
- Accept all of the terms of the “Protocol of Agreement” between the Host City and the General Secretariat of the Organization of World Heritage Cities.
Further to a City’s initial expression of intent to be a candidate for host City, the City must submit a bid file, with detailed descriptions of the conference venues and the hotels, signed by the Mayor, verifying that all of the above criteria can be met. Only then can a City’s candidacy for host city be accepted.
This bid file must be sent by email, to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We also invite you to download the Manual of Procedure, which is intended for the host cities of the OWHC World Congresses. This manual will give you an idea of the requirements and steps for the organization of this event.
In Gyeongju, the mayors of the candidate cities will be invited to present the assets of their cities. The presentations will take place in the morning of November 2, 2017, between 9 and 10:30 am, and the voting period for the election of the host city will be held during the registration for the General Assembly on November 3, 2017, between 2 and 2:30 pm. The name of the host city of the 2017 World Congress will be announced during the General Assembly. All the mayors interested in submitting the candidacy of their city are invited to complete the following form.
Nota bene: The cities that are observer members of the OWHC cannot submit their candidacy to host the 15th OWHC World Congress and its General Assembly in 2019.