Chief city of the province of Segovia.
Old Town of Segovia and its Aqueduct
Industry and politics.
Location and site
On the Plateau of the Old Catile, at the foot of the Sierra Guadarrama, Segovia occupies a steep promontory at the confluence of the Eresma and the Clamores Rivers.
The city wall around the historic ensemble of Segovia, built in 1088 under the reign of Alfonso VI, has been well preserved. The urban grid is made up of a network of medieval streets which converge at the Plaza del Azoguejo. A Roman aqueduct is located at the heart of the city.
Segovia is made up of a harmonious ensemble of buildings that date to the Late Middle Ages (11th and 12th centuries) and the Renaissance (16th century), its two periods of prosperity. Its famous Roman aqueduct of 166 arches, the Alcazar constructed by Alfonso VI, and the 16th-century Gothic cathedral constitute the city’s principal monuments. Romanesque churches, “mudejar” buildings and fortified houses are also part of the urban landscape, which is predominently ochre in tone.
The historical ensemble of Segovia constitutes a unique artistic realisation because it comprises an array of monuments which in terms of beauty and exemplary historical significance are truly outstanding. (I) The city illustrates a complex historical reality. The layout of its neighbourhoods, its streets and its houses relects the different cultures, who coexisted in Segovia during the Middle Ages and competed at the peak of its industrial heyday in the 16th century. (III) Segovia presents an exceptional testimony of the western city that resulted from the participation of several traditions. (IV)
- Segovia, which was conquered by the Romans between 98 and 94 B.C.
- In 1088, after a period of Arab rule, Segovia was repopulated by King Alfonso VI. This led to a period of political and economic prosperity.
- Between the 12th and the 15th centuries, several of the kings of Castile resided in Segovia. Queen Isabella was crowned there in 1474.
- In the 16th century, Segovia experienced a major industrial growth. It became known for the fabrication of cloth.
Dnã. Clara Isabel Luquero de Nicolás
Ayuntamiento de Segovia
Plaza Mayor, 1
Sra. Claudia de Santos Borreguero
Concejala de Patrimonio Histórico y Turismo
Ayuntamiento de Segovia
C/ Judería Vieja, 12
(+34) 921 466 707/(+34) 626 360 376