11th World Congress of the OWHC in Sintra, Portugal
The 11th World Congress of the Organization of World Heritage Cities was held in Sintra, Portugal, from November 22 to 25. During this great international gathering, more than 350 participants coming from 145 cities in 70 countries in the world discussed the theme “World Heritage Cities and Climate Change”.
On the scientific level, the mayors, elected representatives, municipal specialists and experts from all corners of the globe greatly benefited from the presentations and discussions related to the various sessions of the Congress. To learn more about these exchanges, the conclusions of the rapporteurs will be available soon.
In addition, the members in good standing of the OWHC met in a General Assembly in order to hold their biannual meeting. During the meeting, the members in good standing proceeded with the election of the members of the Board of Directors for 2011-2013 and of the host city of the 12th World Congress of the OWHC in 2013. It is with great enthusiasm that we therefore invite you, in November 2013, to Oaxaca de Juarez, Mexico, for our 12th World Congress.
The Board of Directors of the OWHC for 2011-2013 will be made up of the following mayors:
- President: Mr. Harry N.G. Brinkman, mayor of Beemster, The Netherlands
- Vice-president Treasurer: Mr. Jorge Castro Muñoz, mayor of Valparaiso, Chili
- Vice-president: Mr. Alain Juppé, mayor of Bordeaux, France
- Vice-president: Mr. Augusto Barrera, mayor of Quito, Ecuador
- Vice-president: Mr. Eduardo Rivera, mayor of Puebla, Mexico
- Vice-president: Mr. José Antonio Nieto Ballesteros, mayor of Cordoba, Spain
- Vice-president: Mr. Michael Häupl, mayor of Vienna, Austria
- Vice-president: Mr. Fernando Roboredo Seara, Mayor of Sintra, Portugal
Finally, we wish to express our appreciation to the entire team of the Organizing Committee of the Congress as well as to the scientific committee for their hard work that has made it possible for this 11th World Congress to be a great success. Bravo and thank you!